Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Best of Both Worlds

I've thought a lot recently. I lay awake now, in the silence of the early morning hours listening to the meditative music of the Spy Game soundtrack. It makes me think of Kenya--my recent trip to Africa and to those people whom God used to flip my world upside down. It reminds me that I really want to be used greatly by God. (and "reminds" is an important word, because I often forget amidst the distractions of the day that life is spiritually rooted.)

"But Mary kept all of these things and pondered them in her heart." -Luke 2:19

"Meditate within your heart [while] on your bed, and be still." -from Psalm 4:4

"Be still and know that I am God." -from Psalm 46:10

I know that it seems ironic, but I believe that to increase my effectiveness, I need to slow down, ponder, and meditate on the things of life. How does this all tie together? Well, effective football teams save their time-outs until the final moments of the game, and when they get in a bind they simply pause time and ponder a plan.

What makes us think that we can tackle life without a plan? It's utter foolishness, I say. Everyone expects to win the prize, but few know the requirements. What true Christian is there in the world today which does not burn to transform the world for his Savior? Wake up! We all want that! Everyone wants to be used greatly be the Lord; so what's the difference between those who are and those who are not.

If we really want to be used greatly by our King, maybe we should "seek those things which are above, where Christ is.." -from Colossians 3:1.

I'm guilty. I don't actively seek out the things of God everyday. Personally, my day is good if I have a sundae from Sonic and drive home with my windows down. So, "why does my life feel so mundane?" I ask myself. It's because I choose to do mundane things! God prepares a banquet for me everyday; I turn Him down for yahoomail.com.

"It remains to be seen what God will do with a man who gives himself up wholly unto Him." -Mr. Henry Varley

The following is from Titus 1:
"For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict."

Are you a new creation? Do you practice the disciplines listed in Titus which will lead to Godliness and effectiveness? Do I?

Give this thought at least two moments: How serious am I about this whole "Christian" thing, because true Christianity is a belief which, if truly embraced, immediately causes radical transformation.

When I was younger, we would be looking for something like a set of keys or a belt; my dad would get frustrated quickly because I would mozy through the living room slowly, scanning the carpet. I can hear him now, "Jeremy, get to looking! It's not gonna jump up and bite you, you know." Well, neither is greatness. It jumps out to tackle no one.

Don't we all want to get the best of both worlds? You know, taking it easy and changing the world at the same time. But life takes discipline. In fact, I've heard it said, and I do believe, that the difference between intention and experience is discipline.

I know that I'm speaking a lot about discipline, and changing the world and all. Be careful though, discipline itself is not the key either! I know, it's crazy huh? I'm exhorting you to seek God, and those disciplines which lead to intimacy with Christ our Savior.


Intimacy with Him is causal to changing the world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home